Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Birthright


My daughter, like many young women, a liberal, was upset this morning because of Trump's threat to issue an executive order eliminating birthright citizenship. Now, this obviously seems a pre-midrem stunt and likely will not happen. But, as I explained to my daughter, there are lots of foreign women who fly to the U.S., have their baby, then fly home ... giving their child American citizenship ... not fair. However, it is very unlikely that Congress and/or the courts will let Trump have his way with such an executive order.

But, I have a suggestion -- Congress should pass a law or, if necessary, a Constitutional amendment, restricting birthright citizenship to only those who, if born in the U.S. of aliens, must also live here until the age of 5 and cannot have been wards of the state in the meantime.

OK?

2 comments:

bec_1969 said...

I am not completely a liberal. And, I do know about people flying here just to have a baby so they can become a citizen. I just think that to get rid of birthright citizenship would be very un-American

George W. Potts said...

Play the current policy forward one or two hundred years. Will the entire world have U.S. citizenship? If we have to change things ... in a rational way like I am proposing ... isn't it better to start sooner rather than later?