Monday, May 02, 2016

Throwing the Dice


I hate to be so slavishly supportive of anyone's political opinions, but I need to reference once again The Diplomad and the logic behind his choice to vote for Donald Trump ... see: Why I Will Vote for Trump. Please read his blog post and all the comments that swing back and forth between support and skepticism. His audience is generally quite well informed and eruditely expressive.

Basically, W. Lewis Amselem (The Diplomad) states that he recognizes that Trump is not the perfect candidate and there are reasonable doubts about the degree to which Trump might follow through on his rhetoric. I also understand that voting for Trump amounts to a throwing of the dice ... but no matter what the probabilities are in this gamble, they are still better than the result we would get from Hellery ... particularly since her campaign promises are so onerous.

In many ways I see a similarity between this upcoming election and Ronald Reagan's in 1980. Back then I held my nose and voted for his opponent, Jimmy Carter, using the rationale of "how can a B-grade movie actor make a good president?" I was wrong and plan not to be so naive this time around.

Anyone who has been reading this blog knows that I have had plenty of problems with Trump's performances ... but generally not his policies and priorities. I realize that, if Trump wins in November, he, like Andrew Jackson, will bring a certain coarseness to the White House. And I also would expect that he will not follow the Tea Party line with many of his decisions. (I particularly worry about his Supreme Court choices.) But I think that this is the unfortunate price that must be paid to get our nation back on the tracks and moving forward after 7 1/2 years of spiteful governance.

No matter how poorly Obummer has ministered to our nation since 2009, I am certain that Hellery would put a Clinton Foundation stake through our heart. And the fact that the Europeans are in her corner is enough evidence for me that she would be a disaster.

So, in November I too will cross my fingers, spit three times and pull a lukewarm lever for Trump.

Afterward: Insofar as Trump bringing a certain coarseness to the presidency, it seems that, since two out of our last three presidents were basically low-lifes, the American people have gotten somewhat used to such poor behavior.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

George, please outline for me here how you personally, not the country, are worse off because of the last 71/2 years of Obama in the White House.

George W. Potts said...

- I can't earn any interest on my savings
- My children's and grandchildren's future has been mortgaged to the tune of $11 trillion
- The infrastructure in my town, my state and my nation is crumbling
- I am loath to travel to Europe, Mexico or anywhere outside the U.S. for that matter
- I am no longer particularly proud of my country or my President
- My children have to work harder to stay afloat

Enough?

ChillFin said...

True, Reagan was an actor but he also was Governor of California for eight years. That counts as a LOT of political experience...

ChillFin said...

Your personal list of woes sounds a lot like mine were after 7.5 years of Bush.

George W. Potts said...

Two wrongs don't make a right ...

George W. Potts said...

Political experience is now a liability ...

ChillFin said...

It is interesting that Reagan and Trump were both dedicated Democrats before 'coming out' as Republicans. So their backgrounds are rather steeped in support of progressive causes. Yet both stir the hearts of staunch conservatives.
The big question is whether the obstructionists in Congress will STFU and start doing positive collaborative work if Trump is POTUS.