Wednesday, May 18, 2016

I Lied


I lied to my granddaughter yesterday. I told her that the police came to arrest her because she was screening bloody murder out in our back yard and the neighbors were complaining. I told her I told the police it was OK ... that I would take care of it. My granddaughter had been  having a meltdown because her grandmother wouldn't let her dig in an area of the garden that she had just planted with seeds.

For whatever reason my six-year old granddaughter was screaming to high heaven over this conscription and it was disturbing me and my wife to no end. So I lied. And this expeditious lie was even more effective because there was a cop car down the street at a baseball game going on in a nearby park. I pointed to this car and said that those were the police I had talked out of arresting her. This made my falsehood even the more believable and effective. Wide-eyed, this calmed her down.

This question is ... should I have deceived my granddaughter like this? Is it OK to fabricate a story in order to achieve something in an expeditious manner? Could I play President Obummer's Deputy National Security Advisor (and former Hellery Clinton State Department aide), Ben Rhodes, and blatantly lie to the American people in order to get the Iran nuclear deal done ... because if I told the truth, the American people would throw a hissy fit? To better understand this comparison read the following New York Times Disclosure. It has obviously caused a Congressional dust-up and some embarrassment for the Obummer administration.

The answer... I think it would be all right for me to play Ben Rhodes if the American people were all six-year olds.

2 comments:

ChillFin said...

Would corporal punishment have been more honest? Although in these modern times, she could have then called the police to arrest you!

George W. Potts said...

Maybe corporal punishment for Ben Rhodes would be refreshing ...