Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Exclusivity

The Berghain Nightclub Bouncer

"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member." --  Groucho Marx

There is something about the human psyche that compels people to want to be where they are not wanted. This is what propelled the manically exclusive Studio 54 in the 1970's and 1980's into the "place to be" and the "place to be seen." Keeping people out of this devil's den only made people want to be there even more. Now we have, in Berlin, a remake of this type of glitterati grotto. Descend with the author of this story into the world of debauchery, drugs, alternate lifestyles, tattoos, body piercing and mosh pits as she recounts her nightclub experience in Germany. The Berghain nightclub in (East) Berlin seems a modern day remake of the infamous Studio 54 where the fringes of society suddenly became its center. To read about this odyssey see:  New York Post Story.

At my age, I think I'll pass ...

Afterward: I wonder if the Berghain nightclub will admit Syrian refugees?

No comments: