Friday, January 06, 2017

Why Movies No Longer Move Me


I don't think that I have gone to a motion picture show for years. And I also find it difficult to get enthusiastic about even watching Hollywood's output on television. Why you ask? Here are a few reasons:

- So many actors and actresses seem compelled to express their grating political views publicly that these personae show through their dramatic masks on the big screen.

- Too many flick scripts are either, on their face political, or continuously suggest ideologies during otherwise innocent scenes. This works to keep me from suspending my disbelief.

- It probably is that I have grown away from our current hedonistic ethos, but I find it difficult identifying with the base interests and motivations of many current scriptwriters. Movies used to be predictably uplifting and entertaining. Now they are mostly downers.

- Our cinema has become so formulaic and derivative that, once knowing the subject of the film, I can usually fill in many of the details. The fifty-third sequel of Star Wars just has somehow lost its luster to me.

- Even apart from politics, many of the current crop of movie stars are just not likable to me. Perhaps because their scuzzy private lives have become so public on social media?

 - Many too many Tinseltown outputs involve hidden promotions or product placements to the point of comparison to television ... which has become one continuous ad interspersed with a smattering of entertainment.

- Ticket prices keep going up without seeming limit ... and $8 popcorn seems a little excessive.

- Movie audiences are packed with superficial millennials. Clearly I and my kind are not the target audience ... and so I feel increasingly alienated. As a tyro curmudgeon need I say more?

Afterward: See: The Diplomad's Thoughts on Same.

3 comments:

ChillFin said...

See "Arrival". Smart. Inteligent. Thought provoking.

DEN said...

You haven't gone to the movies for years, yet you have many opinions about the current scene. That's like Trump complaining about paying taxes.

George W. Potts said...

I talk to people who do go to movies ... and reluctantly watch many movie trailers on TV. I am also unfortunately barraged with the idiotic political comments from many Hollyweed glitterati.