Tuesday, March 05, 2019

Grammar Police


I suppose if individuals considered as gender fluid can insist that people call each by the plural personal pronoun “they,” I should not object to our other grammar rules being ground to detritus in a diversity rebellion. But I can’t help myself. I took Latin for three years in high school and fell in love with the beauty of the logical syntax rules of this language. So I am now a paid-up member of the grammar police.

What is bothering me lately is a growing confusion between adjectives and adverbs. It is a regular occurrence now to hear educated people and even ads saying such things as, “I did good on the English exam” or “She ran home quick.”

To review the rules of this particular grammar game, please see: Purdue Writing Rules.

1 comment:

Gaiseric said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you. That makes both of us aged (very) white men. Axel