Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Management 101


I have never claimed to be a great manager ... but I do remember a lesson I learned in Management 101 in graduate school ... never humiliate a subordinate in public. If you have an issue with one of your reports, make sure you impose any dressing-down or corrective actions IN PRIVATE. Humiliating someone in public creates many more management problems than it can possibly solve. How many times have you seen people leave a company so that they can "spend more time with their families?" This is the genteel way ... and it has been my way.

However, this is apparently not President Trump's way ... as he has been throwing barbs at his Attorney General, Jeff Sessions, for a number of days. Primarily, Trump is angry about the slow-motion coup taking place ... spearheaded by the Special Council, Robert Mueller ... and he blames Jeff Sessions' recusal from the Russian election interference investigation. Clearly, President Trump, unfortunately, doesn't believe in this management nicety ... although he went to Wharton School.

I know that many readers here believe that I am a Trump sycophant ... but, if you would take the time to browse through many of the entries, you will see that I have not always walked the Trump line ... and I am not now doing so on this issue. He is once again being brutish.

Although unlikely, I do hope Sessions stays at AG. He is a very decent and honorable man. Too good to be so treated.

No comments: