Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge


The Monty Pyton players had a classic routine called "Wink, wink, nudge, nudge (enough said?)" in which Eric Idle confronts Terry Gilliam about his conjugal relations with his wife (for a good checkle, please view this video: Flying Circus Bit).  Although President Obama wasn't referring to sex, he was having a wink-wink-nudge-nudge moment with Russia's President Medvedev in South Korea recently when he, on an open mic, suggested that, after this fall's election, he would have much greater latitude in dismantling the U.S.'s missile defense system.  The Barry has already canceled the installation of this system in Poland and the Czech Republic (see: Maxi-Shield) and clearly has an animosity toward Ronald Reagan's missile defense shield in general.

Here is the actual open-microphone exchange:
President Obama: "On all these issues, but particularly missile defense, this, this can be solved but it’s important for him to give me space."

President Medvedev: "Yeah, I understand. I understand your message about space. Space for you…"

President Obama: "This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility."

President Medvedev: "I understand. I will transmit this information to Vladimir [Putin], and I stand with you."
(Thanks to The Weekly Standard for these quotes.)

One could now draw a parallel between Terry Gilliam's relations with his fictional wife and Barack Obama's congress with the American public.

2 comments:

DEN said...

What an "etch-a-sketch" moment! I agree with you on this one, Geo. Clearly Obama has a foreign policy agenda which he is reluctant to reveal to his supporters until he is no longer accountable to them. In my opinion, the election was just handed to Romney with a bow. Let's see what he can do with the gift.

LimeRick said...

Here's the first part of the exchange the mike didn't catch:

O: My knees are so stiff I can't get free to hoist a decent jump shot in my daily pick-up game. Part of the problem is I just can't get enough warm-up time to stay loose and flexible, at least not while I have to spend so much damn time on getting re-elected.

M: You need to start lobbing some 3-point missiles to get more space and make the defense back off.

Context is everything!