Sunday, June 25, 2023

Signal-to-Noise Ratio



Because of a reader who, for whatever reason, relisheses in diminishing me and this blog, I have started looking more carefully at the statistics supplied by Blogspot to see what influence hits have on the signal-to-noise ratio here. In my Thanks a Millio blog post, I said:


Again, as best I can determine, my readership may be as many as a hundred real individuals … with 40 to 60 reading any individual post. And, since I publish 4 to 6 entries a day, my daily totals usually run between 200 and 400. When the bots kick in … about once a month … the number can be around a 1000 … lately, even more.


And I will stick by these numbers by looking at the hits to individual posts and correlating them to the “normal” daily totals. And yes, about once a month these numbers are not normal as thee daily totals pop closer to one thousand for a few days … and they do NOT correlate to what is happening with individual blog posts.


Of late, even this anomaly has gone off the tracks because daily hits are running two to three thousand … mostly from Singapore … clearly bot driven. And I still can’t figure out why this blog should be so targeted … particularly since neither I nor Blogspot really benefit or are punished from this gratuitous very low signal-to-noise ratio.



STAND UP FOR GOOD DATA!


4 comments:

Steve said...

I posted about the same thing happening to my blog on blogspot too ... https://bhoundsandadog.blogspot.com/2023/06/strange-blog-activity-lately.html

I friend of mine sent me your post today.

Steve

DEN said...

I take it that I am the evil commenter to whom you refer. Gosh, I didn't expect you to be so thin skinned. I thought someone who loves to trash the opposition would be less easily offended.
I was not trying to diminish anyone; I thought I was making it more interesting by providing a counterpoint. I see that I am not welcome here. So bye bye and good luck. And I mean it this time.

George W. Potts said...

And I’m the one who’s thin-skinned … Democrats really do wallow in projection.

ChillFin said...

Actually i am the one who was beating you up. I simply stated that click counts are not endorsements. Maybe a word or phrase you used in a posting satisfied a filter. Yet you do have loyal readers, even though you often press my buttons. Carry on !