Sunday, May 31, 2020

The Big Picture


I’m guessing that the riots now in many major US cities have evolved and no longer have everything to do with George Floyd’s murder ... OK, a little bit, at least symbolically ... but these are also uprisings spawned by anger over the virus lockdowns, our huge levels of unemployment, Bernie Sanders not getting the Democrat nomination, the Left realizing that they have a loser in Joe Biden, President Trump once again escaping the Deep State and the media’s drumbeat attempts to take him down ... and a venomous vitriol in the far-left (ANTIFA, Black Lives Matter, etc.) for the US and our institutions.

(Of course, breaking things and lots of free stuff also helps.)

Afterward: See: CNBC Story.

10 comments:

Axel Grabowsky said...

Excellent list of contributory causes for the current riots. Knowing you -for nearly 65 years . . . man, are we getting old!!!- I'm sure tomorrow you will complete the list by adding the causes attributable to the other side of the political continuum, right? Axel

George W. Potts said...

I would have 65 years ago ...

George W. Potts said...

By the way, you are welcome to provide the balance I cannot. That’s what the Comments section is for ...

George W. Potts said...

And be careful not to say “there are good people on both sides.” You know what happened to the Orangeman when he said that about Charlottesville!

Tom Grow said...

you really think this is about money?

how about 250 years of rampant racism that never changes and goes with no acknowledgement, no change?

George W. Potts said...

There is seldom a day goes by that I don’t hear the Orangeman ... and me by association ... accused of racism. And yes, I have seen in my lifetime a measurable reduction in racism on the part of whites ... and an increase in it on the part of blacks ... particularly politicians and media types.

I am not raked by racial guilt ... nor can I make up for past racial sins. I am just a poor schlob trying to call things as I see them.

ChillFin said...

A huge problem is that, as you say, "Trump once again escaping the Deep State and the media’s drumbeat attempts to take him down". He knows how to evade responsibility for anything while spewing invectives at media enemies. We crave an empathetic, caring POTUS that can talk us --all of us in the USA -- in off the ledge rather than blathering about what Obama did not do and sleepy Joe would not do.

George W. Potts said...

It sounds to me that you want Mr. Rogers in the White House?

ChillFin said...

I want one of the Mt Rushmore gang: George Washington, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, or Thomas Jefferson in the White House.

George W. Potts said...

FDR isn’t on Mt. Rushmore. Maybe he should be?