Sunday, October 22, 2017

Blue Suede Shoes


I was just watching a Time-Life promotional ad on TV for its Oldies and Goodies rock-a-billy CD collection ... Jerry Lee Lewis, the Platters, Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, the Everly Brothers, etc.  ... and one snippet was from "Blue Suede Shoes" by  Carl Perkins (1955, my Junior year in HS). This started a flood of memories about my life back then ... including, of course, my, no kidding, blue suede shoes, pegged pants and, yes, my duck-tail haircut. (actually I think we called it a "duck's-ass" haircut.) This get-up also required a little wire brush to tend to the shoes, Suave hair cream and a comb in your back pocket to keep your hair ducked.

At some point I might try to recall and recount more of the lettuce leaves in my salad days ... but, for now, I am just a bit chagrined that I was such a slave to fashion back then. This is maybe why I swim so much against the faddish tides these trying times.

2 comments:

DEN said...

Good to know that your current "un-slavish style" is intentional. (I would have labeled it "homeless chic.")

George W. Potts said...

I may add that term to my neologisms ...