Sunday, January 05, 2014

South Africa


Mark Steyn must have a large and/or competent research staff … because most of his opinion pieces are full of salient and often startling facts.  (As opposed to most New York Times news articles that are chock-a-block full of opinions.)  

Steyn has just written a piece on South Africa and Nelson Mandela that recalls much of the seedier side of this country after the demise of apartheid … see: Steyn Online.  In it, Steyn treads lightly on Mandela’s legacy … but spares not the country from a barrage of unfortunate revelations (e.g., South Africa is the murder capital of the world) … many of which I once knew but have forgotten.  Please read it if you have any designs on going there.

This is really a shame for, from what I hear, South Africa is a country full of incredible scenic beauty and bountiful natural resources.  But, as a result of its current condition, it is not on my bucket list.  I just wish I could have seen and relished it (ditto Kashmir) before it went the way of most former colonial nations. 

From a selfish point of view, one wonders if this country will ever regain its previous stature and benign presence.  I certainly hope so.  But I think it will take a passel more of statesmen the likes of Mandela for this to occur.

No comments: