Tuesday, February 08, 2011

What’s in a Name?


When I started this blog I grabbed the name Fletcher’s Castoria for no reason other than I used to enjoy this elixir as a child. Although it was a laxative, it tasted so good (root beer flavor … see: Fletcher's Laxative) that I sometimes feigned constipation just to get a spoon full. When I chose this name, I actually thought that this product no longer existed since I hadn’t seen it in drug stores for quite a few years. I was wrong. It is still available through the Mentholatum Company (acquired by Rohto Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd in Japan). You can search on-line for it.

Apparently others also enjoyed this medication as a child. There is one New Yorker who seems so obsessed with it that he/she has gone around New York City scouting out old Fletcher’s signs on the side of buildings (see: Forgotten New York). Although this may seem over-the-top, I fully expect that, many years hence, someone equally fanatical will dig into Google’s archives to retrieve my entries from this blog site … well after I am taking a dirt nap (kind of like how Emily Dickinson knew her poetry would be read after she passed.) Then again, maybe not …

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A penny for my thoughts, oh no, I’ll sell them for a dollar
They're worth so much more after I’m a goner
And maybe then you’ll hear the words I been singin’
Funny when your (sic) dead how people start listenin’

zx11c3 said...

I had to take Castoria when I was a child. I didn't find it being a good time. Eventually I told my mother " I'd rather die first".

Anonymous said...

My grandma used to give me FC, and I hated it. Later she switched to X-lax and feen-a-mint. Cod liver oil, however, was another matter. She had to hide it, because I would sneak to the "ice box" and take a swig.

DD Revia said...

Loved Castoria! Mug rootbeer makes me think of Castoria with every sip. Lol ��

Tammy said...

OMG! Thank you!! I've been trying to remember the name of this for the last 5 yrs. I used to love this stuff as a kid, not just because I was always constipated but because it kind of tasted like root beer. I'm so glad someone else remembers it too!

Anonymous said...

Yes!!! I would often sneak a swig of that wonderful stuff! It's still around, but probably has artificial sweetener so most likely not taste the same.

Unknown said...

I need this for my Grandson rite nw, by i thought they stop making this stuff fa real. My kids use to sneak an drink it straight frm the bottle. An I always knew which kid did cuz they was Shit'n on themselves...LMMFAO!!!