Barak Obama does not want to be known as a liberal. (Or should I say that Barak Obama’s very savvy handlers don’t want him to be tagged as a liberal.) They want him to be known as a “progressive” (in the mold of Robert LaFollett and Teddy Roosevelt??) [From Drudge] “Obama, in an interview, said that ‘a lot of these old labels don't apply anymore.’ He said he was a progressive and a pragmatist, eager to tackle the big issues like health care and convinced that the Democrats could rally independents and disaffected Republicans to their agenda.
Again a politician’s pronouncements don’t jibe with the facts. Here are a few things I have picked up on the internet about Barak's church. See http://www.tucc.org/about.htm
"The Pastor as well as the membership of Trinity United Church of Christ is committed to a 10-point Vision: [italics mine]
1) A congregation committed to ADORATION.
2) A congregation preaching SALVATION.
3) A congregation actively seeking RECONCILIATION.
4) A congregation with a non-negotiable COMMITMENT TO AFRICA.
5) A congregation committed to BIBLICAL EDUCATION.
6) A congregation committed to CULTURAL EDUCATION.
7) A congregation committed to the HISTORICAL EDUCATION OF
AFRICAN PEOPLE IN DIASPORA.
8) A congregation committed to LIBERATION.
9) A congregation committed to RESTORATION.
10) A congregation working towards ECONOMIC PARITY."
Most of these points are fine, but the one that bothers me the most is #10. "Working toward economic parity" ... to me this means an adherence to Socialism. (I think this might be considered liberal.) And the word "liberation" also pops out because the Reverend Wright is an avowed proponent of the "Black Liberation Philosophy" … also liberal with a capital “L”. See Obama’s Mentors
Also, here are a list of the 12 precepts that each member of the Trinity United Church of Christ must sign when he/she joins the church (including Barak and Michelle.Obama.) [italics mine]
"Below are the church's 12-precepts and covenantal statements called the Black Value System.
- Commitment to God
- Commitment to the Black Community
- Commitment to the Black Family
- Dedication to the Pursuit of Education
- Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence
- Adherence to the Black Work Ethic
- Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect
- Disavowal of the Pursuit of "Middleclassness [sic]"
- Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired
skills available to the Black Community
- Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources
for Strengthening and Supporting Black Institutions
- Pledge allegiance to all Black leadership who espouse and
embrace the Black Value System
- Personal commitment to embracement of the Black Value
Again, what does "disavowal of the pursuit of middleclassness" mean? Is this a referral to the middle class whom the Communists used to call the "bourgeoisie" and tried valiantly to destroy? I’m pretty certain that this falls under the precepts of a “liberal”. Don't forget that Barak aspires to preside over a country which derives much of its strength from its large and prosperous middle class.