Saturday, June 22, 2019

Actors

Robert De Niro

I have noted this before: Acting is a socially-acceptable form of lying. On the stage, actors are not the persons they are pretending to be. The roles that actors play are the creation of someone else and yet they can slip into these new personalities with realistic and convincing aplomb. Any brilliance that they may exhibit is generally someone else’s making. Therefore, excellent actors and actresses are excellent liars by definition. That is why thespians need not ever be paid attention to when they are expounding on political or moral issues ... except when they are on the stage speaking the lines of (hopefully) real thinkers.

Afterthought: Because so many actors have become politically active, I find it more difficult to suspend disbelief when I see them acting (as best I can) ... therefore movies have become less entertaining ... and I have less need to see them. I wonder if others are so affected?

No comments: