Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Talking Heads


Some cable TV channels do have scripted opinion shows. However, those that are in the slightest impromptu require their talking heads to keep talking. Dead air is death. As a consequence, a lot of what is said on these political shows us drivel ... and mindlessly echoes what is said by other "pundits" on other shows or even a few minutes earlier on the same show. Most talking heads are inherently lazy and couldn't come up with an original idea or perspective if their inflated salaries depended upon it. This must be the reason why a particular political bent takes over these channels and seldom changes. And this is why they are rightfully called "echo chambers."

Let me offer an example -- once I was invited to offer my thoughts about bar tending in a panel discussion. Even though I had no experience in this profession, the money was good, so I agreed to fake it. I did this in the following manner -- I was always late answering questions and would reword a previous respondent. I did this so successfully that I was offered a follow-on gig that never happened. However, using this experience as a template, I understand how many cable TV talKing heads can offer opinions on things they know absolutely nothing about.

Next time you watch one of these shows, follow carefully and see if I am not right.

5 comments:

ChillFin said...

Funny that you bring this up. Just yesterday I decided that I needed to watch Hannity, and Fox and Friends to see why people felt that they were unapologetic sycophants for the far right and The Donald. Amazing! Every set of DJT plaudits was capped by the the related Dem/Obama/Hillary indiscretions. Map that to the fact that the only member of the press invited to the state dinner was Rupert Murdoch. Who scripts the talking points that flow through these gooey news sources to find their way into tweets from Donald?

George W. Potts said...

I don't think that I specified that the left was to blame for the echo chamber. Funny that you assumed that I meant the Left ...

ChillFin said...

Let me say once again: The two extremes are both going crazy with the sheer dint of terabytes of information flowing in every direction - deep, dark, press, MSM, wherever. Each has to add SOMETHING or at least a tweak of spin to earn their keep. Moderates are hanging loose, skimming the meaningful material and trying to ignore the rest. So I never think that you mean the "right" or the "left"... just the "extremists."

George W. Potts said...

If moderates settle on left or right dogma, are they then evil extremists?

ChillFin said...

Being a moderate allows for a cafeteria plan of political alignments. The prix fixe plan for the extreme liberals and the one for extreme conservatives mean that you have to eat and drink some things you just don’t like. I like being a moderate, compelled to decide how I feel about each issue. No orthodoxy.