Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Happiness is a Good Belt


No, I don’t mean of single-malt scotch.  I mean that thing that holds up your pants.  Time after time I buy a “leather” belt only to have it disintegrate after a few months.  What happens is that many of today’s waist cinches are made of two layers of cheap leather … or look-a-likes … that come apart, usually around the buckle holes. Another frequent failing is the buckle itself … getting out of alignment or just coming apart.  Even supposedly quality manufacturers like Eddie Bauer have stiffed me with such inferior goods (good inferiors?)

About six months ago I got desperate and went on the Internet to find a real, single-layer cowhide belt.  I finally found one (I think it was from China) and ordered it on my credit card … only to realize too late that nowhere on the shopping site had  it specified what size this belt would be.  It took me a few weeks to unwind this merchandise miscue.

Finally, this past Christmas my daughter ask me what present I wanted from her.  I simply replied, “a belt … a good-quality, single-layer, real cowhide belt.”  Now my daughter is dogged … I don’t know where or how she found it, but she did   … and I’ve been wearing it ever since … with not a single problem.  Thank you! Thank you, Rebecca!  (And when you all eventually cremate me, please first remove and save this great belt for some other deserving soul.)

And, as I reach my dotage, it is not big things that I seek.  As it turns out, happiness is a good belt!

1 comment:

DEN said...

Curse the Obama administration for allowing second rate belts to be pandered to unsuspecting consumers!