Friday, February 24, 2012

Ike


There is a proposed memorial to Dwight David Eisenhower (Ike), our 34th President (1952-1960), that is now under discussion to be erected on the mall in Washington, D.C. (see: Powerline Critique). There is clearly not unanimity of the selected design ... in fact David Eisenhower, Ike's grandson, has resigned from the memorial commission to protest this decision.  I concur.

Prior to his Presidency, Ike was instrumental in winning World War II in Europe and exposing the genocidal atrocities that occurred therein.  I think the historical perspective is that Eisenhower wasn't a great President ... but he was a damn good President ... something we have had a dearth of in the ensuing years.  He championed the interstate highway system, ended the Korean war, helped rebuild Europe, desegregated public schools, and kept Israel from being swallowed up by its belligerent neighbors.

I have my own personal memorial to Ike.  It is a letter he wrote to my mother after she had written to tell him that her 3rd grade student, David Eisenhower, had told her why he wanted his grandfather to be re-elected in 1956.  She had related that David had answered her question with, "Because I want to swim in the White House pool for another four years."  Here is the content of that letter that Ike returned to her:

                     The White House
                         Washington

                               November 10, 1956

Dear Mrs. Burns:

I cannot tell you how delighted I was to receive
your letter.  One of the most compelling reasons
that I decided to stand for re-election was the
hope that I might be able to contribute in a small
way to a better world for David and his class-
mates, and children like them all over the world.
And, too, I hope that David's next four years
bring him no more serious problems than when
he can next swim in the White House pool!

Mrs. Eisenhower joins with me in deep appre-
ciation of your prayers and good wishes.

                                 Sincerely,

                       Dwight D. Eisenhower (signature)

No comments: