Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My Brief Acting Career


Many, many years ago I was chosen to be in a TV commercial ... for possibly All Bran cereal, as I recall.  I was given a box of the stuff and asked to eat it every morning for a week before the ad shoot (a term I have to be careful using these days lest I am accused of encouraging violence.)  It was suggested that I find the cereal to be nutty, crunchy, toasty, and yummy.  Unfortunately, I barely could down the stuff (see the picture) even after I covered it with milk and lots of sugar.  To me it tasted like chopped-up, very-stale old rye bread (covered with milk and sugar.)

The day of the taping came and I was told what to wear (a blue turtleneck, I think) and given fifteen minutes of make-up pampering.  And then I was sat in front of the camera and a bowl of that horse-feed.  I was then supposed to taste it and spontaneously regurgitate (good one) the lines I had been pre-fed (another good one.) I did my very best without totally compromising myself.  But I discovered that day that acting consists primarily of compromising oneself ... because I lasted only only about three takes before they had hustled me out the studio door and into the cold light of now my un-glittzy life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It wasn't your acting--you drooled milk onto your blue turtleneck. D2

Anonymous said...

Are you going by your real name or by your stage name: Killer?

DEN said...

Is this a self-congratulatory pat on the back for noble integrity?
Or, a testimony to career-ending stubborness? Wouldn't George Cloony have grinned charmingly and mouthed the lines?

George W. Potts said...

The latter ...

Ramone said...

Killer,
Remember those shoots we did as "Extras" for Spotwell? That director (who kept yelling "More Smoke") was a huge rectal oriface, and it took months to get paid.
Call me sometime,