Saturday, November 10, 2018

Gotogle Grift?


I've dealt with this issue before. As readers of this blog can see, I don't see it as a money making effort ...  i.e., no ads. However, I'm not sure that all of  Blogspot's (owned by Google) algorithms realize this.

Why do I say this? Well because about ever week or so this blog gets a bonus of  a batch of obviously bot-produced hits ... usually adding 100 to 500 more hits to my normal count of 100 to 150 hits per day ... note the spikes in the above Blogspot tracking chart of this week's Fletcher's Castoria blog activity. (One would wonder why this bot doesn't spread these ersatz hits out over a number of hours instead of all at once ... not very A.I.!)

The other question is ... shy does Google give this blog all these gratis hits? Well, I can guess. I suspect that Google bot doesn't note that I have no ads on this blog. Yes, if I had ads here I would be earning more money ... but so would Google. I can understand why hundreds of other blogsters don't complain about such a royalty windfall. But I also think that advertisers on Google may not be aware that they are paying for phantom eyeball hits to t any blog that holds their paid-for messages.

4 comments:

Hitman said...

No mystery. Look at your tag words for 3 posts on 11/9. You just got more bot attention than usual because of the word bait. Russians. That's why no one ever comments - which is the only true measure of reader interest. You are very popular with Russian bots. Wonder why?

George W. Potts said...

Unlikely. Russia last week had 34 hits. Can't explain lack of comments ... bi I do get spammed which I don't publish and some emails. If I don't pit ANY key words in, I still get 20 to 30 hits per post. .???

George W. Potts said...

Second thought: Mayne it's because, after I've said things, there is nothing left to be said?

Dimitri said...

We are so busy spamming the rubes with fake stuff that we do not have time to comment on every post. We agree with you Mr Fletcher: only posts that originate in Russia are bots. Because no hackers can disguise the country of origin. Good One.