Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Question?


My recollection of other side-of-the-world TV interviews was that there was always a few second delay between the question and the answer ... mainly because of the distance these communications needed to travel. Now, at the recent Olympics, this delay has vanished. The participants appear to be in the same room. My question is why no delay? Has satellite communication gotten that good ... or is there some time-editing trick being performed?

Any informed thoughts?

Thanks!

6 comments:

ChillFin said...

I responded. Where is it?

George W. Potts said...

It didm't come through. Sorry. Try again.

ChillFin said...

I’ll simplify. In locations where the broadcast facilities are super slick such as at the Olympics, the connections are awesomely fast. When reporters are in marginal locations such as war zones, the bandwidth is slow. When I connect with my peers in Hyderabad I Nadia, a very hi tech city, I can be sharing a screen display with fast redraws, and if I send an email to them while we are online, it immediately rings the bell.

George W. Potts said...

Why a few years ago did we have 2 or 3 second delays? I thought it was a function of the dustances involved and the speed of the electronics?

ChillFin said...

with fiber optics, the speed of light is a constraint. I’ll loan you the book “ The Flash Boys” where riutes between Chicago mercantile and Wall Street took the steaightedt possible line for their cable to trade ahead of their competitors. Amazing!

George W. Potts said...

Y read a while ago that the NASDAQ was letting some traders to move their computer into the same space as their trading computers to shorten the distance delays.