Saturday, September 21, 2013

Flotilla

Aircraft Carrier Group

The above picture comes from the reddit social networking site.  It shows an aircraft carrier task force in full battle formation ... with a litany of 31 support and picket vessels (not including probable invisible submarines.)  However impressive this U.S. armada is ... one thing worries me.  I know that I have little or no expertise in naval warfare ... but does not this battle grouping and, in particular, the lead aircraft carrier seem clearly vulnerable to a full frontal assault?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When was the last fleet-to-fleet naval battle?

George W. Potts said...

Actually I was thinking more of frontal missiles or a frontal air strike. The last fleet to fleet battle I think was in the Falkland Islands where the HMS Sheffield was struck by an Exocet missile and sunk.