Saturday, May 30, 2020

Letter to My Grandnephew


Dear xxxx,

I am George Potts, your great uncle. My sister, xxxxxxx, was your mother’s mother. I am a 81 year-old fart who won’t be around a whole lot longer. But you will ... and I would like to leave a few thoughts with you to compensate you for no celebrations surrounding your high school graduation ... and for you to chew on when you look back on this coronavirus pandemic:

- First, this world-wide crisis was possibly an accidental release of the coronavirus from a Chinese virus lab outside Wuhan, China ... but it’s spread throughout the rest of the world seems purposeful by the Chinese Communist party. I suspect you will find out a lot more about this malfeasance on its part ... and the consequences that resulted therefrom. I am reasonably sure the consequences will be enormous. I just wish I could look back with you to see this sea change. If, in the meantime, you have had to learn Mandarin  ... then the bad guys won ... and you should probably burn this missive.

- They say the winners write the history books .. so, if Trump is still viewed as a pariah, you will know that he will be blamed for much of the damage of this pandemic. For what it is worth, from my perspective, I think President Trump performed as well as anyone could have during this crisis. I know, I know that many in this country disagree. But, if my age and experience are worth anything, Trump has been and will be unjustly vilified.

- In the meantime, all the dislocation and suffering you have experienced and will be experiencing until this Wuhan plague has abated ... all this will be topics for your holding forth with those yet to be born ... your children, grandchildren and, hopefully, even great grandchildren. And, don’t tell anyone, but you are allowed to exaggerate some of this narrative. For sure I won’t tell.

Congratulations on your graduation and I wish you a long, happy and successful life.

Your Greatuncle George

No comments: