Sunday, November 30, 2014

Avatar


Oliver Friedfeld, a senior at Georgetown University, was recently robbed at gunpoint. His reaction was not to condemn his attackers, but to chastise himself … see: Breitbart Article. He wrote of this incident:
"Who am I to stand from my perch of privilege, surrounded by million-dollar homes and paying for a $60,000 education, to condemn these young men as ‘thugs?’ It’s precisely this kind of ‘otherization’ that fuels the problem … Not once did I consider our attackers to be ‘bad people.' I trust that they weren’t trying to hurt me. In fact, if they knew me, I bet they’d think I was okay. The fact that these two kids, who appeared younger than I, have even had to entertain these questions suggests their universes are light years away from mine … We should look at ourselves first. Simply amplifying police presence will not solve the issue … [We millenials must] right some of the wrongs of the past. Until we do so, we should get comfortable with sporadic muggings and break-ins. I can hardly blame them. The cards are all in our hands, and we’re not playing them."
This dude is a perfect personification of the current Obama administration’s foreign policy … an American avatar if you will.

No comments: