Thursday, February 03, 2022

Fluid Semantics


“The Holocaust was not about race.  It was about man’s inhumanity to man.” These  few words got Whoopi Goldberg suspended from “The View” for two weeks and required her requisite groveling apology.


Now, your blogger was befuddled by the violent reaction to these two short sentences until I realized the the Jewish community considered themselves a “race” as opposed to an “ethnicity.”


I guess I have been so conditioned by the current wokeness to think of race as painted in white and non-white terms that I didn’t pick up on this now-considered anti-Semitic slur … assuming Whoopi held the same meaning as I did.


“Fluid semantics” are the real culprit here … not Whoopi Goldberg (whom I don’t particularly like defending.)


And besides, isn’t “Goldberg” a Jewish name?


STAND UP FOR SEMANTICS!


3 comments:

DEN said...

I am also perplexed by the "woke" reaction to Whoopi's statement. After all, the general view of race is defined by physical characteristics and culture. What she said was incorrect, of course. For Hitler, et al. it *was* about race. They saw the Arian "Race" as gifted. and all others were lessor humans. But being wrong shouldn't get you silenced on a talk show!
I wonder if Whoopi isn't typical among certain black celebrities who wallow in victimization and do not want public recognition that other groups have also been persecuted and oppressed.
Regardless, the more we try to silence voices we may disagree with, the more we tilt towards arrogant ignorance. For example, I welcome hearing the statements of MTG and DJT, so I know what the dark side is thinking. Fun fact: DNA cannot identify race.
STAND UP FOR FREE SPEECH

George W. Potts said...

You almost made it as a proponent of free speech. But your last paragraph shows your true colors … DJT and MTG have never spoken a single truth … eh? A priori judgements do not indicate an open mind. Even Biden says many good things. What is bothersome is that he seldom follows through with his pledged actions.

George W. Potts said...

And I’m not certain DNA cannot identify race. Please provide the science.