Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Apple Butter



After much travail, my son just upgraded the operating system on our Apple IPad ... and I think I might understand why Apple's stock price has been going nowhere of late. The old IPad user interface, to me, had a few problems ... but the new one is even worse. I do believe that Steve Job's defining strength at Apple was his obsession for an intuitive user experience. And I don't think that the new CEO, Tim Cook, has this same neurosis ... and this may point to a declining future for this great technical enterprise.

If users of this new IPad operating system yell AAARG! too often ... like I have ... it suggests that there is not someone corralling the system developers from making their own silly decisions as to what the user really needs or wants. This apparent loss of mojo at the company located on Infinite Loop in Cupertino, California will gradually erode its dominant position in its many marketplaces. Even the Apple Watch's tepid roll out reinforces this unfortunate trend.

What was once a crisp ripe Apple is slowly becoming apple butter.

No comments: