Thursday, November 22, 2012

High-Wire Marco



In an effort to nip the 2016 Presidential candidacy of Marco Rubio in the bud, a “gotcha journalist” from GQ magazine recently asked him “How old is the Earth?” (see: LA Times Story). Here is Marco Rubio’s full reply:
I'm not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that's a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I'm not a scientist. I don't think I'm qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries.
I say “gotcha journalist” because I have yet to see the same question asked of a leading Democrat even though, according to the referenced LA Times article, 41% of Democrats are creationists and believe that the Earth was created by God within the last 10,000 years. I thought Rubio’s answer was quite reasonable, albeit political, considering that he doesn’t want to offend those voters who might not believe the scientists who say that our orb has been around for about 4.5 billion years (which I believe). He was walking a high wire between these two diametrically opposed views and, I think, did a fine job of avoiding this “journalist’s” gotcha trap.

And of course, the echo chamber of the national media has jumped on Rubio for his response ... as to be expected.  The Democrats and the left-leaning press do a fine job of respecting diversity except when it comes to Republicans and fundamentalist Christians.  Now I have a suggestion … let this same "journalist" travel to Iran and ask Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (or even Barack Obama for that matter) if he believes in that the 12th Imam will someday re-appear and herald in the Apocalypse. Or maybe he could just ask Joe Lieberman if one should eat meat cooked in its mother’s milk. 

What passes for journalism today is shameful.

2 comments:

DEN said...

When asked what magazines she read Sarah Palin thought it was a "gotcha" question. Rubio's answer to a dumb question was equally lame. You need to be a scientist to know how old the earth is? Was wikipedia down that day?
Seems like conservatives have trouble with questions that most of us would answer with, "Hey Bleephead, If you don't have any intelligent questions this interview is over."

George W. Potts said...

You're right ... Republicans are less glib and dumber than their Blue State counterparts. Their tendency to respect journalists (and are often caught off-guard by their gotcha questions) will be their eternal Achilles heel. Since "most of us" includes yourself, I once again conclude that you are a closet Communist.